Thursday, September 17, 2009

Rita and Mommy had a good day!
















Lots of encouraging moments today!
1. This morning all 4 of us snuggled in bed as we were waking up (around 4:30). Rita gave me extra snuggles and extra kisses. She let me hold her and play with her more than usual. The key part is that she let me hold her without touching Chris.
2. She spent a lot more time with me at breakfast. Chris went off to get his omelet and she wasn’t too concerned. Well, at least not the first couple of times!
3. She sat on my lap for some photos at the White Swan. I have the photos to prove it!
4. She sat on my lap during part of lunch (at Lucy’s CafĂ©!) Actually, she sat on my lap twice without complaining. Although the second time she was eating apple pie and ice cream so I think she would have been okay sitting on Godzilla’s lap. Hey Mama Rita – Li’l Rita likes apple ale mode too! I’m going to post a photo of this and I don’t even care that I’m wearing my glasses and my bra strap is showing.
5. She sat on my lap a little bit in the cab. Not touching daddy.
6. She got upset when daddy scolded her today. She let me pick her up and comfort her. That was the best!!
7. I took her away from daddy to bring her to the restroom to change her diaper. No crying! Only giggling!
8. Later I took a crying Rita away from daddy (who had had enough!) to the bathroom with me. She calmed right down and thoroughly enjoyed wasting about 3 yards of the hotels toilet paper. Giggling!
9. This evening Chris was relaxing on the bed while I was all over the place trying to get this mess packed. She followed me around like a little puppy dog! It was truly adorable. She had no interest in getting on the bed with Chris.
10. When Chris went down to settle up with the hotel, I bathed both the girls, washed their hair, lotioned ‘em up, and got their jammies on. No problem!
This may all seem minor to you, but it is huge to me. I think she is starting to forget that she’s not supposed to like me. I know that tomorrow it could all change, but it was still a good day. I am looking forward to more good days.
Did I mention her hilarious laugh? She opens her mouth really big and breathes in, making this really funny nasal noise. It cracks me up!
I just spent my very last 52 Chinese yuan on the tackiest “Burberry London” t-shirt you have ever seen! I had to unload the money, plus I don’t have a single clean (or even remotely passable) short sleeve shirt. It has rhinestones on it. It is an XL and it is still tight. I’m gonna be one hot mama wearing that beauty tomorrow!
We need to be out of our room at 5:30 tomorrow morning. I expect tomorrow will be one of the longest days of my life. 3 hour bus ride to Hong Kong. All luggage off the bus for customs, then back on. Luggage back off at the airport. 13 hour flight with 2 tired and cranky girls, plus their tired and cranky daddy. Good times!
I’ll try to post from Chicago to let you know if all 4 of us survived the journey! Thank you so much for reading my blog. Now, feed your children and clean your house. Seriously, don’t you have better things to do?
Love and kisses (not the head butt kind) to all of you!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome photos! I am so happy for you and Rita! Considering how long our children spent without us in their lives its amazing how resiliant they can be and its like watching a flower bloom when they start to let down their guard and begin to trust and bond.
    Loved the photos - you have such pretty daughters - what smiles! (Isn't it great that you can say daughterS now?!) Did you have a lot of "when you were a baby we went here..." conversations with Lucy, when you were on Shamian Island?
    Thanks for sharing all of your ups and downs of this wonderful journey. I hope you have a safe trip home. I do not envy your travel ahead....3 hour bus ride BEFORE the airport? ACK! You will have my prayers for sure!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonjourno - It is 2:25 Florida time, which means it is 2:25 am China time. In three hours you will be on your way...YEA! Best of luck on that long journey. I hope you brought a lot of food. :O) Too bad you couldn't bring that apple pie ale mode on the plane. I remember that flight being never ending... torture....but you won't read this until you are in Chicago and hopefully, it will be behind you and you will be laughing about it. Boy am I needing my morning cup of Teresa Joe!!!!! I feel like I am rambling.
    MISS YOU! HUGS AND KISSES (non head butt) and EVERY OTHER WELL WISH IMAGINABLE.
    Love to you, Ellig fam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home Rita! Kisses and hugs from your "fostersister" Norah.

    ReplyDelete