Sunday, September 13, 2009

I'm a lousy speller. Other than that, it was a good day
















Chris and the girls must have gone to breakfast sometime around 6:30. I was oblivious, thanks to my alka-seltzer pm. I woke up at 8:30 feeling a bit like I'd been hit by a tank. We needed to be out the door at 9:30 so I got ready pretty quickly. By the time I got down to breakfast (yep, the big breakfast buffet) Chris and the girls were done. As I stumbled around the buffet area looking for coffee, I was approached by Lineker, the AWAA guide in charge at Guangzhou. "I have bad news" he says. Oh great. Apparently Chris's middle name is misspelled on our adoption certificate, which makes it invalid.

Because we skipped Beijing not only did we miss the information about exchanging our money, we missed the 30 minute lecture from Lineker about going over the adoption certificate letter by letter. I did review the certificate, and I did discover that Chris's passport number was wrong. I did not discover that I spelled his middle name "Jonathon." oops. Our guide also reviewed the paperwork but she was checking against an email where I apparently also misspelled Jonathan. At least I am consistent.

The good news is that it can be fixed, and that we do not need to travel back to Xi'an, which is what I was afraid of. The bad news is that it is going to cost money, which we are out of. I don't know how much money but I am sure we will figure it all out. Rea, our guide in Xi'an was able to get the Civil Affairs office to open today (Sunday) to start the process, so we are feeling pretty lucky. It should be done in time for us to leave China on Friday. I've always been a terrible speller, I just didn't think it was going to come between me and my Rita.

On another note, but similar vein, hindsight is definitely darn close to 20/20. If I had it to do differently I may have made some different choices about this trip. Who knew? Chris has been great about reinforcing the choices we made and helping me to look forward, not back. Love that about him!

This morning we went to the Folk Art Museum. It is very beautiful, but it is all outdoors. It is HOT here, especially when carrying a 4 1/2 year old! Within a few minutes Chris and I realized that we had been here before. It is where I purchased the jade bracelet for Lucy on our last trip. I really thought that I had purchased it in her province, but obviously I was wrong. (See yesterdays comments about my mind being a sieve. ) Just as I was exiting the gift shop where I had purchased Lucy's bracelet my new bracelet for Rita broke and fell off my arm. Great. Apparently it is not as sturdy as a bangle. Oh well. We will take it back to the states and have it worked on. It might be something I keep in the jewelry box more than on my arm.

After the museum we went to the tea house. Again, beautiful and interesting, but not to a 4 year old. It seems a shame to go to all of these interesting and historic places with 2 children. It is impossible to pay attention. But the good news is the we did get to sample tea (it all tasted like hot water to my stuffy nose) and neither one of the girls spilled hot tea on themselves. I'd call that a successful outing!

After the tea house we went back to the hotel and had "free time" for the rest of the day. When I say "free time" I mean 3 hour nap for the whole family! Rita woke up a bit before Chris and Lucy. She let me pick her up out of the crib and lay her on the bed next to me. I got to snuggle her a little. She was mostly asleep so she didn't complain. I was just happy for a little close-time with her.

She and I continue to make progress. She comes to me, smiles at me, plays with me and continues to head butt me, but still won't let me carry her around. However, she complains less and less everyday. She doesn't push me away or run from me like she did a few days ago. I am happy with this. Tonight she had I had some Rita-mommy play time while Chris was snoozing in front of the big tv. We have a box of colored pencils. She dumps them out, then puts them back in. Then dumps them out and puts them back in. Then dumps them out... We did this for about 30 minutes.

Lucy is feeling a little roughed up. (and I was worried that Rita would get roughed up by Lucy. Ha!) Tonight she got her hair pulled pretty good and she had to make a major issue about it. I think she is feeling a little jealous. She got really upset when I tried to have one-on-one time with Rita. We are trying to help her understand that we all have to work through this together as a family. Its going to take time. I think that having a crazy sleeping/eating schedule probably isn't helping her. As I type this, I am looking down at my pink, sparkly fingernails. Lucy and I did a mommy-big girl outing this evening. We got our fingernails painted. Guess who picked out the colors?

Oh, I forgot to mention that Rita is now saying her name. It is so cute! I don't think she knows that it is her name (she still thinks that she is Emily) but she says it really loud and really cute. Her voice is so raspy and funny. I think she will know herself as Rita by the time we get back home.

Tomorrow we get her TB test checked, then we go shopping on Shamien Island. This is where -they sell tons of cheap China souvenirs to sitting-duck adoptive parents. Lucy has been earning (and occasionally losing) dollars to spend all week. She is up to 46, which is roughly 6 or 7 American dollars. It will be fun to see what she selects. After the TB test is read we will be able to start using the hotel swimming pool. I am looking forward to seeing how Rita and Chris do together in the water. I have a feeling they are going to have a blast.

I will now attempt to attach a bunch of photos.

4 comments:

  1. Howdy my friend. So awesome to see your blog. I have bben waiting with baited breathe for a few days. It is awesome to see things are going well. More prayers coming your way...we are thinking of you.

    p.s. Lucy looks so grown up in these pictures. :O) Love, your friend Shannan (Paul and Hannah)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -so much going on with you all the last few days! I know EXACTLY what you're going through with the paperwork hiccup. Last year our paperwork somewhere didn't list our apartment number and our local guide assured us that it wasn't important when we noticed it....Linekar informed us in Guangzhou that it may be VERY important - ack! Thankfully the consulate was cool about it - for one day we thought Dave would have to return to HangZhou to get the issue settled. I hope your snafu gets straightened out.
    Wasn't it so great to settle into the China hotel after the long day of travel? I was positively giddy when we checked in and I found it to be significantly better in the comfy bed department - plus the girls loved the tub window shade in the bathroom! What nice surroundings to end the journey.
    The girls seem to be finding a natural sisters relationship! I remember you telling me how Rita was said to be gentle and quiet.....I warned you about those "quiet" ones! They are going to be challenging each other at times, but thick as thieves at other times. If Lucy is tolerating 4 out of 5 "poundings" from her sister she's already being a good big sister!
    Right now we're praying for you, that your paperwork is quickly taken care of (and cheap!) I read Dave bits from your blog and we've had a lot of "remember whens" as a result - especially being tired. (He says "Hi" by the way!) After I read him the part about Chris encouraging you to look forward, not back he said "I like that Chris, he's a good man!"
    If you have time and are looking for another restaurant, we took a cab to a place called "The Italian Restaurant" - it was nondescript, a restaurant located in an office building - on the second floor, and had a FABULOUS Italian buffet. You can do a'la carte but the buffet was reasonable and included all beverages and dessert. This was our best dinner in Guangzhou and we only discovered it the last night - it was listed in a magazine recommending places to eat, the Concierge gave us the address and I honestly couldn't tell you what road it was, but it was maybe 10-15 minutes from the hotel.
    I better stop as this is more of a blog than a comment! -I'm following SaraBeth's family - they were the other family with you in Xian.
    Still praying for you!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Teresa and Chris! You have your RITA! I just got all caught up, and wow, the memories are coming crashing back! I will be praying for you guys as you spend your last few days in China... for Rita's transition, for Lucy's transition and for yours! She is beautiful, and hold on to that memory Teresa... this little girl might be daddy's girl now, but oh, just wait!!! In no time at all, she will be loving her mommy and saying things like my princess now says to me, "Mommy, I will never stop loving you!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather - I looooove your comments. Keep 'em coming! I agree that this hotel rocks! It is so much more comfortable than last time. Plus, we are more adventurous about getting out and about. Thanks for the restaurant tip. We may try the Italian place tomorrow night. Or maybe the middle easter place with the belly dancing. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete