Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A MUCH Better Day!!!!

Our Family Of 4!!!


Rita In The Tub - That's Lucy's Foot

Rita & Chris in the van


Chris & Rita looking at the Terra Cota Warriors



Terra Cota Warrior Exhibit




I am married to the baby-whisperer. Despite having no younger siblings and never having changed a diaper until Lucy, he really has a way with babies! Rita woke up in our bed (strange surroundings for her) and was a bit cranky about it for a while. We tried to woo her with Nei Hoa Kai Lan, but with little success. I tried stacking cups and coloring books with little success . Finally we broke out the Kashi cereal. This girl really responds to food! It didn't take long for Chris to have her happy and laughing! I went upstairs to see about a stroller for our excursion. When I came back, all three of them were rocking out to the Wiggles. Did anyone know that the Wiggles recorded a version of "You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" with Leo Sayer? Seriously - I could hardly believe it!

Our plan was to meet the other family at their hotel at 9, then take a van to the Terra Cotta warriors. Neither Chris nor I slept more than 3 hours last night so Chris was not feeling inspired. I, on the other hand, felt that we needed to take our chances and get out there.

The rest of the day was deja vu - almost. Rita is suddenly very attached to Chris. It is completely adorable. He is so cute with her. When I was watching him with her on the bus today I thought my heart was going to explode. He is truly amazing with her. The only BIG difference between this and our situation with Lucy is that I am not the least bit bothered by her preference towards him. I am absolutely thrilled that she is bonding with him. She clearly prefers him over me, however she is no longer violent towards me. If I pick her up I get a few seconds of love, then she starts to whimper for him. Fine with me!! I know it is only a matter of days before she comes to me on her own. Finally - we are becoming a family!!

The Terra Cotta Warriors are wicked cool! We really enjoyed the day and Chris admits that he is glad we took the chance on going out. Our guide, Rea, did a great job of showing us everything and telling us about the warriors, without dragging us to a million places and reading some boring script. I think we were there about 2.5 house, which was perfect.

When we got back to the hotel, Chris was practically drooling. His need for room service, breakfast buffet, privacy and most importantly, a television in the bedroom had finally surfaced. He REALLY wanted us to stay in the hotel for our last 2 nights in Xi'an. They just happened to have a king suite available at a decent price. Since Chris is sure to get a good workout carrying our 24 pound angel, I gave in and agreed that we could move to the hotel. After we got lunch, I took a taxi back to our original accommodations to get everything packed up (no easy task!) and take it all to the hotel. I have to admit that it feels good to be together as a family with privacy. I was getting a little tired of trying to get Lucy to use her "inside voice" when we were all awake in the middle of the night. Those of you who know Lucy know that she doesn't actually have an inside voice!

We had a great time giving the girls a bath together. Rita, breaking Lucy in as a big sister, promptly pooped in the tub. Hilarious! Afterwards they aboth ran around the hotel room naked. The are currently crashed out wearing matching panda pajamas. Adorable!

I expect that 1 or both of them will be awake by 4, so I had better get some sleep! I am so happy to report a good day and I am really looking forward to tomorrow!






6 comments:

  1. Yeah!!!! I physically feel a weight lifted and I am not even YOU. That is amazing progress. Whew. And each day will be better. I love looking at your family.
    Love, Shannan

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the family of 4 photo! Made me smile. I'm so happy that bonding has begun. Each day will get better. I can already see this. Love & Hugs to you guys. We're still praying for you. Love, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEAH!!!!! Wow, what a day you had! I could practically hear the giddiness in your voice as you wrote those words. God definitely both challenged you and blessed you with this adventure!
    We're still praying for you a lot, and are relieved that Rita is beginning to relax and bond.
    We send high-fives to the baby whisperer. We hope your last two days in Xian are even better than today and we pray that your flight to Guangzhou is uneventful.
    Heather and Dave

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! So fun to see the new family of 4!! It brings back memories of Chris and the baby carrier with Lucy while we were in China, and, after about 5 days of the "velcro baby" he was looking a little worn out! He is an amazing father and what brings those little kids to him is his soft spoken personality, patience, and caring manner. I am sure they just melt into him! And, it is so good to hear that this time it is a little more bearable for you. You KNOW that things will only get better. Look at Lucy in the photo now and how you mention that she won't leave you for long when she knows you need a little time to refuel! I am laughing (now that it is done, not so funny at the time) thinking about our China experience and how you were the "gopher" to all of Lucy's needs (bottle, food, blankets, etc..) and keeping everything in order, even entertaining, but no body contact or hugs for you! You were so busy keeping everything running smoothly, but did't get the hugs that you are swallowed with now. You are now a "seasoned parent" and know that precious little Rita is God's child for your family (goosbumps again). Your patience with her adapting to you is amazing and inspiring!! Teresa, you know that she will be lovin on you like nothing else before you know it and I am so glad you see that! Your family is absolutely adorable and to see the 4 of you all together brings tears to my eyes! I am getting this feeling that in the next year we have a reason to visit Florida! Of course, we will let you get back on home time first ! ( : Love to you all...
    Amy O.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see things are going so great now! Enjoy your last days in Xi'an!

    Jet
    Norah's (starfish baby Rachel) mom

    ReplyDelete