Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Home Sweet Home

Lucy and Hannah - reunited!

My beautiful girls on the beach!


It's been a long journey...


Rita joins other China Girls to celebrate Moon Festival



crafts!


spending time with Michelle and Steve at O'Hare


Lucy with some dancers at the airport

settling in for a LONG flight


Passing the time with friends at the Hong Kong airport

Rita LOVES to swim

We've been back in Orlando for over a week now, so its probably time for me to do a post! (Although I continue to be shocked, yet grateful, that people take the time to read this blog!)

Should I even talk about the 14 hour plane ride home with 2 children? Actually it wasn't that bad. We totally trashed the back row of the plane (row 61!) but we made it to Chicago safe and sound. I expected that Rita would spend the entire flight on Chris's lap. I was pleasantly surprised about 6 hours in that she decided to have a little Mommy-time. She is always willing to play with me, but rarely wanting to sit on my lap. I cherish every moment she chooses to share with me!

We were very surprised to find Steve and Michelle waiting at the Chicago airport to greet us. They drove 3+ hours up from Indianapolis to give us a grand welcome. Unfortunately, I was a bit distracted when I saw them because I was searching the airport for the PERSON WHO TOOK RITA'S PASSPORT! We had taken the coveted and irreplaceable "brown envelope" through all the checkpoints. We finally got it to its finally resting place and were waiting for our names to be called. Finally we heard our name and approached the desk to get Rita's passport. It was gone. The guy behind the desk says "Huh. Someone must have taken it." WHAT?? I was pretty freaked out. I thought he had lost our entire packet! Panic. Turns out that the only thing taken was Rita's Chinese passport and visa. Eventually we figured out that a) we did not need it to leave the airport and b) it was taken by another family in our group by accident. It has since been mailed back to us. Whew!

The rental car place did not have the car seat we requested so I sat in the backseat with Rita on my lap as we drove to my parents. It was the best ever! (Aside from me being paranoid about getting in an accident or being pulled over.) By the time we got to Mom and Dad's, Rita and I were best friends! It was so great for me to get to carry my new daughter into my parents house. It would have been fine if Chris had carried her, but it was really special for me to do it. She was in a GREAT mood when we got there. She was doling out kisses and hugs and headbutts by the dozen. She was charming, to say the least!

Rita got to meet TONS of relatives over the weekend. We went to Lake Geneva to celebrate my parent's 80th birthdays. Even though we were really tired and jet-lagged, it was a great weekend. We actually managed the jet lag better this time than we did with Lucy's trip. The only "complaint" I have is the baggage management. Yowzers we've got a lot of stuff! I could happily go another year without packing or unpacking another bag! (Unless there is a cruise involved.)

One of the highlights of our trip (for me) was a girl's afternoon out. I got up early to go to Clare's (my "niece") baby shower, I got back around 12:30 and my family was still snoozing! When Rita finally woke up, we didn't let her see Chris. Lucy and I took her on an outing with my sister, niece and mother. She did great! Again, I got lots of lovin'. She is definitely a monogamous girl. If she is with daddy, she does not want anyone else. Turns out, if she happens to be with me (no daddy) she only wants me. She will still flirt and play with others, but she won't let anyone else hold her or push her stroller.

On Monday we got back on a plane and headed to Orlando. We finally made it to our home around 8:30 pm. Imagine my surprise to find a refrigerator filled with Cracker Barrel food (meatload, corn, potatoes...), my counter covered with snacks (including Rita's favorite - pringles!) and wonderful kid surprises like sticker books and bubbles. There was even fresh fruit! What a thoughtful thing to do! This was the work of "row 2 plus a few", a handlful of wonderful and talented women that I met a few years ago singing with Encore. Gretchen was helping us out by bringing in our mail. She masterminded the whole thing.

In addition, the lovely and talented Shannan had set up our table with matching kids plates, bowls, coloring books, crayons and balloons. Does it get any better than that? Actually, it does! In each girl's bedroom was a holloween tote back filled with tons of goodies. Feather boa (what girl doesn't need that?) stuffed pluto, fairy wings, ballet skirt, jump rope... As I am writing this I am realizing that I don't actually know who did this. Shannan, was this you? I was so overwhelmed (and tired) by all of these amazing surprises that I'm not even sure where they all came from! Seriously, don't I have the best friends in the world??

So, we got home Monday evening and I was back to work Tuesday morning. Uhg. The ad sales must go on. It was such a luxury to stay home with Lucy for the first 4 weeks. I'd give my left arm. Unfortunatley, even my left arm isn't going to get me any days off!

Chris has been staying home with Rita while I've been trying to establish a new routine for our new and improved family. All things considered, I'd say we are doing pretty well. Chris is really ready for Rita to start daycare. I am really ready for a free weekend! Last weekend we journied to Ormond Beach for Moon Festival. It was really fun to see all our China friends, but I could have done without another round of packing and unpacking!

Lucy is handling things like a champ. She is having some regression issues, but nothing we didn't expect. She called me at work yesterday around 4:00. She was crying and saying "Mommy, I need you!" Who could possibly resist that? I went home and gave my big girl some extra lovin'. After that, she was fine for the rest of the evening. She and Rita are hilarious together! Monkey see, monkey do! Rita tries to do everything her big sister does. They are dancing, twirling, booty-shaking little monkeys! They had a really good time playing on the beach together last weekend. We had a full 3 hours of Mommy/Lucy/Rita beach time. I have a nasty sunburn on my back, but it was totally worth it!

Did I mention that Rita pee peed on the potty this morning? She is a genius. We threw a big pee pee party.

Tomorrow is Rita's first day at daycare. Wish us luck! I expect she will be fine after her first hour. I expect I will be a mess the entire day.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome Home! I'm so glad you posted. I'm glad to hear things are going well and so happy to hear you & Rita are bonding. Now try to find some time to just relax! :-) I hope daycare went well. Please keep updating the blog. I love reading your updates.
    Love & Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear how well things are going! Might I say that I have a whole new level of respect and admiration for you that you not only took a side trip on the way home, but another trip the next weekend??? With only 1 kid I couldn't dream of even looking at another suitcase or someone else's pillow for A LONG time after China!! :) Super Teresa! And what super friends-- wow!! Welcome home mama! I'll be praying for an easy first day at day care for Rita.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay - your second China Odyssey has come to an end - now its on to the whole adventure of sisters running you around in circles - I know you love it!
    I'll be calling you when we get closer to our trip.
    We LOVED following your blog. How wonderful to see how your family came to gel in a short time - the frustrating days melting into really good days....along with a bunch of crazy paperwork - all in another country, away from your natural support network.....it makes for some exciting drama!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos.All babies are looking very cute.It seems you both take enough care of them.Carry on your good work.

    handy zubehör

    ReplyDelete