Monday, September 14, 2009

Good Day
















We had a nice day today. We did not have to be anywhere until 1:00 (hooray!) so we had a nice leisurely big breakfast buffet and played in the play area. Rita plays with me no problem. We had lots of fun stacking plastic donuts. We tickled and giggled. She lets me pick her up and put her down, but she still won’t let me carry her for more than a few seconds. She is really attached to her daddy!
She keeps giving me kisses, but they aren’t regular kisses. Basically she gives a head butt with a kissing noise. Her lips make the noise, but her head makes the contact. It’s a little painful, but adorable.
The other thing that cracks me up is that she is always happy to see me. She lights up when she sees me but she just won’t let me hold her. Chris is really ready to have a big more freedom. He keeps suggesting that she come to me, but I really think it needs to be her decision. It might take a while, but I really think she will just come to me one day when she is ready. She is very snuggly with Chris, which I know he loves, but also wears him out. She is climbing on him even as I type!
At 1:00 today we went back to the medical clinic to have their TB tests checked. Two little girls had to have chest x-rays based on their test, but both x-rays turned out to be negative. Thank the Lord! I know it was pretty scary for those two children. Apparently there was a child yesterday (not in our group) who tested positive and had to go to the hospital. I’m not sure how that effects the family leaving the country. I’m just grateful the Rita is healthy.
After the medical check we went to the Red Swan hotel for the traditional red couch photos. Then we hit the souvenir shops. Lucy spent her hard earned money on a blue Chinese fan. Then we bought a few gifts and souvenirs. When you can buy kids shoes for $4 a pair, you kinda have to buy a couple! Lucy and Rita both got little china girl outfits with the poofy skirts. I think I paid $6 each.
After shopping we met 2 other families for dinner at a Thai Restaurant. We had heard from other adoptive families that the Cow and Bridge (or Bridge and Cow?) was a good place. It was! I really enjoyed the food and the chance to socialize with a couple other mommies. There hasn’t been much time for the social aspects this time. One of the other families has a 5 year old girl. Lucy is smitten. The two of them had fun at dinner, and then walked around holding hands and giggling. They have a play date at the pool tomorrow. I am glad Lucy will get to spend time with someone her age. Rita really roughed her up this afternoon. There was much hair pulling and crying.
When we got back to the room the girls had a blast in the bathtub. The tub is next to the shower, and the whole thing is encompassed in glass. This allows them to splash and throw water everywhere without doing any damage. One of the glass walls backs up to the bed. Chris and I had a blast sitting on the bed and watching them splash and giggle. Rita’s whole face just lights up when she is having fun.
Hopefully I will be able to post some photos. You will notice that Rita is wearing uneven but adorable pigtails!! (Oh, and if you are very observant you might notice that my bangs are shorter. Did you know that it is possible to give yourself a haircut with a pair of child’s nail cutters? It is!)
I look forward to more family time tomorrow. Hopefully we will continue to make progress.





5 comments:

  1. I just finally got caught up on all your happenings since you left! I'm so glad things are going so well after your rough start! We're praying for you guys! I hope the rest of your trip is smooth and safe!
    Robin (Troy & Sarah, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tree!
    Just now getting caught up on your blog. I'm so sorry things got off to a tough start, but sounds like you're all working it out. I can't wait to meet Rita and see all of you this weekend. Safe travels and lots of love,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pics! So glad Rita is adjusting little by little.
    Please give her a big hug from her starfish "sister" Norah (Rachel)!!!

    Jet
    Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jet - if you are reading this, I just want to say "hi!" I can't get to my facebook to send you a message and I don't have your direct email. I am happy to have contact with another Starfish Mommy. I've seen photos of your Norah. She's a beauty! Thanks for following our story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So who gave Rita the haircut....Rita?
    I love the fact that the hotel created a play area for the kids - that's new, and really such a good idea.
    You are almost home....did you get your paperwork issue settled?....I'm on pins and needles. I saw on the other blog that another family had a paperwork snafu as well. This is just a really good nudge for us to be extra vigiliant with that precious packet of paper we stuffed into the safe every time we left the room....
    Well, you have a little bit of time left and then its on to the marathon travel adventure, the euphoric, triumphiant arrival home and finally the sleep deprived, cranky, trying-to-acclimate-to-ESTime fun! I pray that all your paperwork from now, through the airport arrival home, is fine, okay, non-flag worthy. I pray that you are able to get some REST before you tackle the next phase. I pray that your girls SLEEP on the airplane. I pray that Rita reaches out for her mommy soon! Right now you're probably packing, organizing and trying to fit everthing into suitcases! Go get some sleep!
    Safe travels!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete