Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Another Good Day!







Every day we become more and more of a family. Today was a nice, relaxed day. We were at the BBB (yep, big breakfast buffet) by 7 am. We hung out there until close to 10 because a) there is a play area b) the girls are more grazers than full-on eaters and c) it is nice to spend time with the other families.
We are learning what Rita will and won't eat. She is much pickier than Lucy was. She will eat watermelon and yogurt and white rice. You can count on those three things. Other than that, you just don't know. She will NOT eat chicken mcnuggets. Can't say that I blame her.
I didn't get a lot of play time with Rita this morning because this mucus infestation is seriously kicking my hiney. Fortunately one of the other mommys (thank you Dawn!) gave me some sudafed and vitamin C powder. Sudafed is the only thing that seems to give me some releif. By 2:00 I was starting to feel human again.
Lucy spent most of the afternoon on a "playdate" with Natalie. Thank you Natalie's mommy! The girls watched movies, colored and played. It gave me a chance to rest and hang out with Rita without Lucy getting jealous.
At 2:00 we met up with 3 other families and took the subway to an interesting shopping plaza. Chris found out about it from another family at breakfast. It was fun to take the subway and get out on our own a bit. The shopping plaza was pretty unique. I don't even know how to describe it. Think of an 8 story flea market where each shop specializes in 1 thing, like hairbows or stuffed animals or kids' backpacks. The prices were super cheap, but so was the merchandise. We did buy a couple of Disney puzzles and some Barbie stickers, but that was it. It is the kind of place where you could put together excellent goodie bags for your kid's birthday party.
When we got back to the hotel we all met up at the pool. Unfortunately I left Rita's swimsuit in Chicago. I'll have to buy one tomorrow because she LOVED the water! Loved it! Just like Lucy, she couldn't wait to get in and had a huge grin on her face the whole time. I probably shouldn't have let her swim without her suit and water diapers, but she was sooooo excited about it. I didn't have a suit (not because I forgot but because some things should remain covered at all times) but I sat on the edge with her. I got drenched but I didn't care. If I had let her she would have dived in head first. Two risk-takers under the age of 5. Yikes.
The pool was really fun because it was the most close time that I've had with her without her daddy. He was in the pool with Lucy. She was perfectly happy hanging out with me. Yippee!
After the pool we ordered pizza with the other families and waited and hour and a half for it. It was totally worth the wait. Rita wasn't too interested in the pizza, but Lucy chowed on 2 pieces! Apparently swimming makes her hungry. Rita ate another (3rd one today?) container of yogurt.
Would you like to hear some cute things that Rita is doing? Sure you would! Today Lucy gave me a big kissy. Immediatly after Rita ran right up to give me a kiss too. I guess she didn't want to be left out. (it was a real kiss without the head butt!)
She says her name so well! She knows it is her because she'll say REEETTAAA and point to herself. She can also identify Daddy, Mommy and Lucy.
She likes to make animal noises.
Lucy was a bit of a pill today. After putting on her night clothes she decided to start layering them with more night clothes. Guess who did the same? Rita went to her drawer and pulled out more pajamas and started layering them on. She is soooo "monkey see, monkey do!"
Did I mention that she has peed in the potty twice? Chris' idea, but he was right on. She is definitely ready for potty training.
She's just cute. Really cute - especially when she laughs. Oh, and her skin is looking much better! She had a ton of ugly bumps on her feet, knees and diaper area when we first met. They are pretty much gone. I'm not sure why because we haven't done much to treat them. We'll ask our doctor about it to make sure they don't come back.
She has a ton of mongolian spots. They are on her back, neck and even her legs and ankles. They look like big bruises. They are not harmful in any way, but can be pretty shocking if you don't know that they aren't bruises. She has some other strange circular marks on her back. I'm not sure what they are, but they don't look irritated or painful so I'm not going to worry about them until we get home.
I'm still not carrying her around and she won't let me push her in the stroller. Chris is clearly her security, but she is spending lots of fun time with me. Works for me!

4 comments:

  1. We can't wait to meet Rita. Teresa, she is awesome and adorable and I love the kiss she gave you!!!! You are definately a family and she knows. It sounds like she is so excited to be a part of it. You are very lucky mommy! And things will only get BETTER! Hannah keeps saying, when is Lucy coming home. It is taking a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy definitely misses Hannah. She picked out a present for her yesterday. Lucy is being a good sport but I know this is tough on her.
    I can't wait for you to meet Rita. She is so feisty! I really wish I was going to be able to take time off with her when we get back to Florida. I think it would really help, but its just not an option unless I suddenly decide to quit my job! Oh well. We'll have to make the most of evenings and weekends.
    see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you're all starting to gel as a family! That's wonderful. The photo of Chris with his baby girls is great - Rita is just beaming! It sounds like Lucy has tapped into the "power" of the big sister when little sister does anything she does! Its both a blessing and a curse.....when they are sweet - its doubley sweet and when they are mischeivious.....that's double too!
    We've enjoyed all the details and are taking notes for our next trip!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather - be sure to see my comment from a day or two ago about how much I love your comments.
    Oh, one other thing I have been meaning to tell you. I laughted out loud when I ready your quote from Princess Diaries. When we were staying in the apartment earlier in the week, we did not have access to tv, just dvd's. We watched Princess Diaries 3 or 4 times! That quote was fresh in my mind (I just never thought it applied to me. Sometimes you need friends to point those things out!

    ReplyDelete