Thursday, September 10, 2009

BIG Fun Today!!!

Look At That Smile

Lucy being a great big sister

Relaxing with BaBa


Today was a very fun day. It started out slow because I took a night time cold pill around 4 in the morning. It was very effective at knocking me out, so I wasn't functional when the family started getting up around 6. Chris did a great job of handling things. The girls took a bath together and played with their stacking cups. Afterwards, Chris let Lucy pick out clothes and get both of them dressed. I was asleep at this point, but the photos are priceless. They both looked gorgeous!

Finally around 8:30, they headed to the big breakfast buffet! I dragged my sorry, unshowered bottom down with them because I did not want Chris to be double-teamed. Rita is not one for sitting still - that is for sure! However, she did pretty well with the combo of high chair, regular chair and Chris's lap. She did get up and walk around a bit, but never very far. There was no fussing at all. She is not a huge eater, but she can put away a good amount of watermelon!

After breakfast we went back up to the room to play. We have an entire suitcase of toys so there was plenty to do. Plus, there is a big bed to jump on. Eventually it was nap time. Chris and I went down without a fight. The other two, not so much. We left them to their own devices for a bit. When I woke up, Lucy was asleep on (well, half on and half hanging off) the couch and Rita was crashed out in the stroller parked next to the couch. It was truly a funny sight. I wish I had taken a photo, but I went back to bed instead.

When Rita woke up she was a little cranky. I went to get her to bring her to the baby whisperer. Surprisingly she let me comfort her and she fell back asleep on my lap. I was pretty excited to have some snuggly time with my little princess. Finally, around 4:00 we were ready to get out there.

Our AWAA guide came by to bring us some legal paperwork. I had her write the chinese symbols for a local shopping mall and the bell tower. We took this with us and went for a walk. It was so much fun! It is a busy city and there are people everywhere. I kept a tight hold on Lucy's hand! Crossing the street is almost a death wish, but we managed it a couple of times. The Chinese are not one bit shy about staring. We are either celebrities or freaks - I'm not sure which - but people were definitely staring and talking. Many people talked to us and seemed surprised that Lucy could not speak Chinese.

We let Lucy buy a pair of earrings from a street vendor. It was pretty cute to watch. I'm still not completely comfortable with the money exchange rate, but I think we spent roughly .80 on these earrings. Since we did not spend the first 4 days with the group, we missed out on a lot of basic information like currency exchange and local tips. Yes, we were here 4 years ago but you tend to forget a lot. It was really good to be out there today on our own rather than depending on someone else to tell us where to go. We had fun checking out the street vendors and all the foods and fruits available for sale. Lots of "meat on a stick" available for purchase. We decided to stick with the hotel buffet, but we did stop at Starbucks (for us) and later at Dairy Queen (for the girls) to have a little taste of home. We never actually made it to the mall that was our original destination, but we really enjoyed our time together.

As we were walking home, Rita started singing. It was so cute! I have no idea what she was singing but we loved it. Chris and I looked at each other like "is that our baby singing?" She sure was! Then she proceeded to blow lots and lots of raspberries. According to Amanda, this is something she used to do when she was happy. We took this as a good sign.

When we got back we partook (is that a word?) in the big dinner buffet and once again, Chris let the girls have ice cream. I would put my foot down on this except that it is so cute to watch them eat it. Besides, more of it drips down their faces than actually gets to their tummies.

When we got back to the hotel I dressed the girls in their matching silk panda jammies ( or course) let them jump on the bed and took pictures. Then we broke out the play doh for a little bit, Rita quickly discovered that play doh does not taste that good. After that I put the girls to sleep, then I dug play doh out of the couch cushions.

I would say it was a really good day. Even though she still clearly prefers Chris to me, I still got lots of kisses and smiles from her, She even followed me around a few times. It is so funny to me how Lucy's preference of Chris hurt me so much but Rita's preference does not bother me one bit. I'm just glad to see her smiling and happy!

Thanks to everyone for your blog comments. They really help me and keep me going. I am so blessed to have so many AWESOME people in my life. I am not able to respond to the comments because I can't get to my blog, but Ana has been sending them to me. I know you all probably have better things to do than follow my blog! I really appreciate the comments because it makes me feel like I have friends coming along on the journey with me.








6 comments:

  1. Great Great Great! It sounds like Rita is learning the ropes from Lucy - I love the photo of her helping her sister get dressed - what a little mama! Your description of naps and sleeping is reminding me a lot of our second trip to China. The first time around I think we had the best sleep we'd ever had....but the second time...too many people off schedule in one family!
    It sounds like things are turning around since day one and I'm so happy for you.....still praying!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH HAPPY, HAPPY DAY! I am so excited for you. I am still praying as well. No such thing as too many prayers. Love to you! Shannan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, what could possibly be more fun than following your blog? My poor family has starved all week because I don't make breakfast until I've checked on you guys!!!

    I've had the biggest cheesy grin on my face while reading how Rita is settling in to your family. God is like Chris sometimes-- He wants to treat us to blessings as decadent as ice cream twice in one day :) Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh. I just love reading this and the pictures (especially the one of Lucy helping Rita get dressed - so adorable!!) It made me think just how lucky these two little girls are to get you and Chris and parents. Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...have better things to do than check your blog?! Maybe, but you'd hardly know it as I've checked your blog every few hours over the past few days to see if you posted since this last post! I know, I know you're most likely TRAVELING and cannot post, but I'm eager to see what happens next in the Amazing Race, DeFelice Edition! Since I'm also following the blog of your fellow travelers in the AWAA group I did see some photos of you guys on a tour, but its definitely not the same storyline! I hope that your flight to Guangzhou was smooth and that Rita's medical exam went fine....always loved seeing that sign "quiet please" in the room where there's a ton of screaming babies! Staying tuned for the next episode!
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!! I am able to access my blog from Starbucks at the hotel. I am so happy to read everyone's comments!
    Heather, I am curious which family your are following. We don't know many families well. This is a VERY different experience than our first trip. Not much time to be social with 2 girls!

    ReplyDelete