Thursday, August 20, 2009

My baby turned 2 today!

Happy birthday Rita!

Was I emotional today? Have ya met me?? My heart was so full today. Partially because my baby turned 2 years old and I couldn't be with her. And partially because I am so excited that she'll be coming home soon.

I couldn't help thinking that if I'm this emotional about a baby I've never met, how is her birth mom feeling today? Surely she knows that this is her daughter's 2nd birthday. It makes me so sad that this woman probably doesn't even know for sure if her daughter is still alive. And unlike me, she won't get the chance to watch her turn 3 or 4 or 5. I'm just overwhelmed by it all. How blessed we are to live in a country where we have choices.

You might be wondering how much I know about her background. The truth is, not much. I know that she arrived at the orphange when she was 7 months old and that she needed life-saving surgery. I can only assume that her family gave her up to save her life. Believe me, if there was a way to give this precious child back to her birth family, I would do it. It feels like a great honor and responsibility to get to raise this child.
Let's talk about her party! Miss Rita had a party in China with a princess tiarra (of course) and a magic wand and a beatuful chocolate cake with a "2" on it made from m&m's! Who could ask for anything more??? I am so priviledged to have contact with Amanda. She is taking such great care of Rita (aka Emily) and is very generous about sharing photos and information with me.

We still do not have Travel Approval. I spoke with our agency today. As long as we get TA from China by next Friday, we will be able to travel on September 3-4. If we don't get TA by then, we won't be traveling until Sept 17 or 24. i REALLY, REALLY want to travel on Sept 4. I'm ready! (Well, i'm not packed and my house is a mess, but other than that - I'm ready!)

We may also have some exciting news about our accomodations in China but I still don't have it confirmed. All I can say is that we have been given the opportunity of a lifetime. As soon as get things confirmed I will share on the blog.

Saturday night is our "Wine-Tasting-Baby-Shower." If you are reading this and live in Orlando, please come! It is at Tim's Wine Market in Windermere. I am looking forward to hanging out with friends and sampling good wines. I am a little bummed that many of my friends cannot make it, but it was a last minute thing. I am very grateful to the fabulous and beautiful Kelly and Shannan for putting this together for me. I love you guys so much!

Did you hear that my baby turned 2 today??

No comments:

Post a Comment