Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Some thoughts on fundraising

  • When we brought Lucy home from China we were fortunate enough to have the financial resources. We would never have thought to ask friends or family to help us build our family. However, times have changed! It is very humbling for Chris and me to seek help, but we are going to do what we have to do to get Rita home.

    Three days after we filed paperwork to pursue Rita I had breakfast with a very dear friend. Out of no where, she presented me with a check to help us with our orphanage donation. I was overwhelmed by her generousity. I also felt a huge sense of responsibility toward this money.

    Less than 1 hour later I was finishing up a meeting with a client. Out of the blue she says to me "Let me know if your company ever does any fundraisers because we are willing to make donations." I thanked her and let her know that we sometimes do that kind of thing. Then it occurred to me to ask her if they would consider donating to a personal fundraiser. I told her about Rita and she did not hesitate for a moment to donate a certificate.

    I had been praying and pondering for days what kind of fundraiser I could pull off based on my talents and resources. I knew that day that we would be doing an on-line auction with donated items. Within the next 48 hours I made a few phone calls and was able to bring in another 10 item donations. I am absolutely overwhelmed and encouraged and humbled by all of this. My friends and business associates have been completely selfless in donating based on their resources. This has truly become a community project.

    Here is how this (hopefully) works:
  • We've created an e-bay store called rita-adoption-fund. We will start the auction on Wednesday, July 15 and end it on Tuesday, July 21.
  • We've set up a completely separate bank account (managed by my BFF Michelle) with a pay pal account that will put the auction money directly into this account.
  • The money raised will go toward our required orphanage donation via our agency, America World Adoption Association. Over the past 10 - 15 years, these donations have GREATLY increased the quality of care received by the children.

Here is the list of items that I have so far. I hope to have 10 - 15 more by auction time, including some rounds of golf, a mall gift card and some gift cards to chain restaurants. I hope you see something you want to bid on!

GOURMET COOKIES!!! For a $35 donation I will mail you a box of delicious, home made chocolate chip cookies. Trust me, they are deeeeelicious!

$50 certificate to Tony Roma's Restaurant (2 of these)

$50 certificate to Pacino's Restaurant or Key W. Kool's restaurant

Lot of beautiful handmade bows/flower clips for your little girl's hair

Professionally made "gotcha day" video! (could also be used for birthday or other celebration)

4 VIP passes to Arabian Nights Dinner Show with stable tour (very cool - we've done it.)

Dinner for 2 at Raglan Road Irish Pub at Downtown Disney

Vera Bradely Super Tote and Matching Cook Keeper in Night Owl print

2 nights in a 2 bedroom suite at the Staybridge Suites in Lake Buena Vista, FL

$100 to Bice Ristorante at Portofino Bay Hotel

2 tickets to Sea World

2 tickets to Aquatica

2 1-day 2-park tickets to Universal Studios

Wet 'n Wild gift basket including 2 tickets

2 tickets to Slueths Dinner Show in Orlando

2 nights at the Crowne Plaza Universal Hotel

2 nights at Sheraton Safari Hotel

2 nights at the Double Tree Disney Hotel plus breakfast

50 minute massage at Mandera Spa

Facial from Acqua Day Spa

$25 certificate to Stonewood Grille and Tavern

Dinner for 2 at J. Alexanders

An extra value meal every month for a year at McDonalds (certain locations only)

$100 certificate to Bergamo's Italian Restaurant

2 hot air balloon rides from Orlando Balloon Rides

$60 gift basket from Discovery Toys

Dental Care basket with electric toothbruch, teeth whitener, toothpast, mouthwash etc

David Yurman citrine ring

David Yurman citrine bracelet

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    You are going in right way for fundraising.It is a noble cause to adopt the such very sweet child.

    handy aufladen

    ReplyDelete